Suggested Maintenance Procedures for Cleaning Granite Countertops
Most issues with cleaning and maintaining granite and marble surfaces come from using the wrong cleaning products. Many products that claim to “Clean & Protect” granite actually develop a buildup that covers up the natural shine of granite. Think of granite like a fine gemstone. If a diamond is covered with lotion, dirt or oils it will not sparkle. Cleaning a diamond with the proper cleaning solution will strip away elements that block the natural brilliance and luster. With this example, it is important to keep your granite surfaces clean to enjoy the natural polished finish. When properly maintained, your granite will remain clean and have a brilliant shine for decades.
- Do not use a “Granite Polish” that you find at the grocery or hardware store. These products are typically made by national brands and not formulated for the various types of natural stone.
- Do not use Pledge or other furniture polish. These will build up and become greasy to the touch on granite.
- Do not use harsh chemicals or high alkaline cleaners – they can strip off sealers or impregnators.
- Do use a professional grade daily maintenance cleaner like HMK P24 Liquid Stone Soap Concentrate.
- Mix one capful of P24 with 24oz. water in a spray bottle, shake to mix solution.
- Spray counters liberally and wipe with a clean and dry cotton towel or Microfiber cloth
- Buff dry to a brilliant shine.
- Do not mix to a stronger solution, as it can produce a build up over time.
- Deep Clean Granite and Marble surfaces twice per year to remove any residual grease, oils, and product build up.
- Mix HMK R55 Intensive Cleaner in a small bucket or pail. Mix 1-Part R55 to 5-Parts clean warm water.
- Apply with a scrubbing sponge or medium stiff scrub brush. Agitate on area for 5 minutes and allow to dwell for 10 minutes.
- Scrub area again for 5 minutes.
- Soak up solution with a sponge or cloth and rinse VERY well.
- Rinse again.
- Buff Dry to a clean crisp shine.
- Protect granite by applying a Professional Grade Stone Impregnator like HMK S34 Silicone Impregnator
- Apply to small area (approximately 6-8 square feet) with a paint brush coating evenly and liberally
- Allow to penetrate for 15 minutes. Do not allow to dry on surface. If soaking in, apply more product.
- After 15 minutes of dwell time, buff off all product using a clean white cotton cloth or Microfiber cloth.
- Buff to a complete dry shine, removing all product. You may have to fold cloth to dry area to absorb all product
- Buffing off all excess product will prevent streaking. If you experience any streaks, apply a small amount of S34 and immediately buff off to a clean shine.
- Allow to cure for 12-24 hours before cleaning surface.
- Once cured, clean area with P24 diluted solution as per Daily cleaning instructions above.
Following these procedures and using Professional Grade Stone Care Products from HMK-StoneCare will Clean, Protect, and Maintain your stone for many years, and protect your investment.
If you have any questions about Natural Stone Maintenance, please call StoneCareOnline at 800-380-6881